The Sr. CAD Designer is responsible for the development of CAD standards, drawing formats and drawing organization for the Technical Design team. In addition, the role is expected to function as the senior CAD expert, leading and coaching the team in CAD techniques and best practices. They will also be assigned projects on an individual and team basis as production schedules require, but the development of standards is to remain the main focus of this position.
Key performance areas
Overall Position Related:
- Development of CAD drawing standards and a documented CAD standard manual for the Technical Design Team.
- Creating CAD templates, layer naming and usage procedures, sheet standards, develop and maintain detail and block libraries, and adapt other standards as needed.
- Research and advise the company on the current national and international best practices needed for the organization of CAD drawings and integrate them into the internal standards, saving the need for multiple standards on projects.
- Assist in identifying training opportunities and methods.
- Lead training and coaching of CAD users in core application skills, standards and best practices.
- Ability to work with external consultants and systems developers.
- Advise on purchasing newer versions of CAD software, modules and hardware
- Create a basic CAD test for applicants to do as part of the interview process.
- Support the Technical team with CD set and detail drawing development as required.
- Strong technical design background, knowledge of construction, specifications, building processes and exceptional coordination skills
- Required Software proficiencies to include: AutoCAD 2d and 3d, Adobe Acrobat or Bluebeam, MS Office and standard office programs.
- Preferred Software proficiencies to include: AutoCAD Lisp or Visual Lisp programming, Revit, Dynamo, Visual or AGI32, Sketchup, Adobe Creative Suite: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, CorelDraw.
- Strong understanding of the architectural design process: the way design architecture firms function, how we interface with them, how we synchronize our documentation with them
- Ability to read and interpret design drawings and miscellaneous design development sketches.